For the Chocolate Cake:
175 g (6 oz) Butter
175 g (6 oz) Plain Flour
175 g (6 oz) Caster Sugar
40 g (1+1/2 oz) Ground Almonds
40 g (1+1/2 oz) Cocoa Powder
3 tablespoons Golden Syrup
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
For the Fudge:
250 g (8 oz) Butter
250 g (8 oz) plain Chocolate
60 g (2 oz) Dark Brown Sugar
4 tablespoons Milk
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
1. Prepare the fudge by melting the butter in a pan over a very gentle heat.
2. Once the butter has melted add in the chocolate and
continue to stir until the chocolate has melted.
3. Add in the sugar, milk and vanilla essence and
stir for a few more minutes until the sauce is smooth.
4. Pour the sauce into a clean bowl and
place in the refrigerator to chill.
5. Now make the cake.
Beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy and light.
6. Beat in the eggs one at a time.
7. Sift in the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder and fold in with a spoon or spatula.
8. Mix in the ground almonds and Golden Syrup.
Add in sufficient milk to achieve a dropping consistency for the batter.
9. Split the batter between two 20 cm (8”) sandwich tins
which have been greased and lined with baking paper.
10. Bake in the oven at 180°C. (350°F.) for 30 to 35 minutes.
After baking the cakes should be springy to the touch.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the tins, then allow to cool completely.
11. Place one of the cakes on a plate and spread around one third of the fudge on the top of the cake.
12. Place the second cake onto the first cake and press down slightly.
Now cover the cake with the remaining fudge.
Sprinkle on some grated chocolate and
chill the cake in the refrigerator for an hour or two so that the fudge sets.
When you assemble the cake the fudge should be soft and spreadable.
If it is too hard place the bowl with the fudge into a lukewarm bowl of water for 30 minutes and then stir.
If the fudge is too soft place the bowl with the fudge into a bowl of cold water for 30 minutes and stir.
Keep the cake in a cool place to avoid the fudge becoming too soft.
Serve with cream or a hot fudge sauce!