- 2 strips of naturally Smoked Bacon
- 1 cup cubed Ham (can use leftover ham)
- 3 small Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 Celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 large Green Pepper, chopped
- 1/2 large Onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup chopped Parsley
- 1 low sodium Bouillon Cube
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- 2 teaspoons Cajun Seasoning Mix
- 1+1/2 litres Water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In large saucepan on medium high heat melt butter and olive oil.
Add sliced bacon and crisp it for couple of minutes.
Take it out and add the ham.
Crisp it as well and then take it out.
- Add the Louisiana holy trinity, celery, pepper and onion to oil and let it caramelize for couple of minutes as well.
- Add potatoes and mix it in.
Let it cook for 2 more minutes.
Then add Cajun seasoning, bouillon cube, parsley and flour.
Mix it in oil until the flour is incorporated well.
- Then add water and de-glaze the bottom of the pan – it means that you need to scrape all the sticky bits from the bottom of the pan.
Add back the ham and season it with salt and pepper.
- Pop the lid on, lower the heat to medium low and let it cook for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are fork tender.
- Serve with crispy bacon bits on top as a garnish.
by Victoria Paikin